Metropolitan A.M.E. Church is proud to be a part of the Harlem Community, serving the people of God for over 100 years. We are the second oldest A.M.E. congregation in Manhattan. The church was founded on April 3, 1901 by the Rev. W.D. Wisher, in the home of Mrs. Arnett, 239 West 41st Street, New York City.
When the church moved from the home of Mrs. Arnett, it moved to 62 West 135th Street where we are presently located. However, that property was demolished and the historical Lincoln Theatre was erected in its place. From 1917-1962 Metropolitan resided at 132 W. 134th Street and returned to 58-62 W. 135th Street in 1962. Metropolitan has been involved with the community on many different levels and has also been known for its great food and warm hospitality.
It is the mission of the Metropolitan A.M.E. Church to share the love of Jesus Christ with all people through effective preaching, teaching and outreach. We are committed to doing so through our praise, worship, stewardship, evangelism, and economic empowerment.